Do you want a treadmill desk? Check out the FAQ below and get answers to your questions before you buy walking pads, standing work stations or treadmills with desks.
1. What is the Weight Limit for a Walking Treadmill?
The max weight capacity for under-desk treadmills varies by model and manufacturer. That said, most walking treadmills have a weight limit between 220 to 250 pounds.
For example a smaller and less powerful foldable walking pad generally supports less weight (220 lbs). On the other hand the 3HP Lifespan under-desk treadmill can support up to 400 lbs.
2. How Quiet is a Desk Treadmill While in Use?
On average, most walking treadmills produce noise levels between 60 and 80 decibels (dB). As an example, a decibel level of 60 dB is equivalent to normal conversation.
Placing the machine on a treadmill mat or i a carpeted room help to dampen the noise. In addition, you can wear soft-soled shoes when walking, as this can help reduce noise too.
Lifespan is known for making ultra-quiet treadmills, and you can see how it compares to other walking pads on this page. Also, the Unsit treadmill desk has a very low noise output of 49.2 dB – they call it “library quiet”.
3. Do Treadmill Desks Offer Enough Work Space?
Of course, this depends on what you don for work and your particular work projects. That said, the average desktop dimensions measure between 40-50 inches wide and 20-30 inches deep.
Most users find the work surface to be totally adequate, especially for working while walking. You can fit laptops, monitors, phones, writing pads and more.
Note: If you need extra space for work materials, you can get a larger standing desk to set up with a walking treadmill. For instance, the Vivo electric height adjustable desk comes in a 71″W 30″D size and also a 71″ x 36″ size.
4. Can You Adjust Desk Height for Different People?
Many treadmill desks on the market have adjustable height options, both electronically and manually. Some popular models with this feature include:
- LifeSpan TR1200-DT7: Treadmill Desk: This model features electronic height adjustment and can be easily raised or lowered with the touch of a button.
- Steelcase Walkstation Treadmill Desk: This model features both manual and electronic height adjustment, making it easy to find the perfect height for your workstation.
- Unsit Treadmill Desk: This model features electronic height adjustment, with a height range of 28″-54″.
5. How Easy is it to Switch Between Walking and Standing Modes?
This is as simple as turning off the treadmill to stop the belt from moving. Then, you can simply stand on the belt in a stationary position.
6. Can You Walk at an Incline on a Desk Treadmill?
In general, walking treadmills don’t offer an incline setting because it’s not good for ergonomically. If you want that upward slant while you walk, you’ll need to go with a manual treadmill. However, all of the models have upright arms that interfere with the desk. In other words, they don’t fold down and you can’t remove them.
Also check out the GoPlus under desk treadmill, which has adjustable feet in the front. Although it’s not marketed as having an incline, you can elevate the front slightly by rotating the feet.
7. Do Treadmill Desks Require Assembly?
Most treadmills and desks require some assembly, but not much. That said, foldable walking pads come already assembled and this electric sit-stand desk only takes 5 minutes to set up.
8. How Fast Can You Walk on a Desk Treadmill? Can You Run?
Most under-desk treadmills have a max speed of 4.0 miles per hour. Many people walk at a 1.5-2.0 mph pace while working, so this capacity is perfectly adequate for most desk users.
However, if you want to go faster, for example running, check out the Sunny Health and Fitness walking and running treadmill. You can use it for both walking or running (up to 8mph), plus you can use it with a standing desk.
9. How Much Do Under-Desk Treadmills Weigh? Are They Easy to Move?
Typically, walking treadmills weight between 100 and 150 lbs. Most models are really simple to move because they have built-in wheels in the front of the machine.
Therefore, when you lift the back, you can easily roll the treadmill to another location without having to fully lift it. Alternatively, you can get a compact walking pad that only weighs about 65 lbs. Plus, you can fold it in half for easy transport.
10. Can You Track Steps, Distance & Calories on a Walking Treadmill?
Lower-end machines and basic walking pads generally have less tracking capabilities. For instance, they may only show you distance, time and steps.
The GoPlus lets you monitor calories in addition to steps, distance and time.